Old Bikers, Shovels and Pans

Lessons learned by and from Elders.
Gramps

Old Bikers, Shovels and Pans

Post by Gramps »

One day a couple of years ago, I had been tinkering with my old shovel and decided to take her out for a test ride. After I had been on the road for about half an hour, I had to stop for a train. As soon as I put my right foot down on the ground, I realized something was wrong. My boot was covered with oil. I shut her down and climbed off so I could roll her over to the shoulder in order to see where the oil was coming from.

I proceeded to dig my tool pouch out of the saddle bags and check the pushrod tube seals. Sure enough, one of the lock nuts on my pushrods had come loose. As I began tightening it, I could hear numerous bikes pass by, but no one stopped. At first, it angered me a bit to realize how times have changed.

I still remember the days when the bond between bikers was so strong that nothing else could compare to it and no biker with dirt in his pockets would ever pass up a stranded brother.

Just about that time, I heard the doors to an old pick-up slam shut. Before I could look up I heard the words, "F***ing old shovels always have been a pain in the ass."

"Always have been and always will be, but at least they have character you can count on." I replied to the old bearded samaritan.

As we kneeled together on the side of the road, putting the finishing touches on my scoot, we talked about my 74 shovel, his 67 FLH, the days when bikers stood beside and behind each other and many other sweet memories.

It wasn't until he drove off that I spotted an Older Bikers Riding Club sticker on the back window of his truck.

Several days later, while I was on my puter, I decided to research the Older Bikers Riding Club and that is when I discovered the "leave no biker stranded" policy was part of their motto.

Here was a club that still lived by the old school bond. That was enough to encourage me to want to join them and now I hope that someday my actions will leave as strong and memorable impression on others as that old bearded man's actions have had on me.

BTW, that Older Bikers name is FTW and I will be forever grateful to him for restoring my faith in real Brothers.
Bone

Re: Old Bikers, Shovels and Pans

Post by Bone »

8-) ya just never know who.....!
Panheadbob62

Post by Panheadbob62 »

When I was in the P.O.B.O.B.'S , I ran with this fella called Doc, we just rode around doin' a whole lot of nuttin' just enjoying the life.

One day he called me up and asked if I was going riding today, to which I told him my clutch cable had broken and I had to ride it home like that for 100 miles, which was no big deal as the majority was freeway, but what wasn't was a bitch. SO I needed to see what I could do about getting a new cable before I ruined something REALLY expensive !

I was outside the trailer working on taking it off when I heard a loud roar come into the park. I looked around but did not see anyone but that noise sounded sweet, really beefed up whatever it was.

Next I knew this Monster truck turned the corner down the street and was heading my way. Yep it was a Monster Truck and sounded mean, real mean, so as I sat there in the street I hoped he would see me and not run me over. I watched him get closer and closer and I began to get worried a bit when I saw an arm come out of the window. He got real close and from his hand dropped out something long so that when he got to me he let it go and it slid right to me.

A BRAND NEW CLUTCH CABLE !!!

I was so happy and confused as I didn't get to see who it was but then my phone rang. Answering it, it was Doc, and he said,

"You ready yet?"

"Gimme a minute." I said.

Fixed it all up , adjusted it and off we went to parts unknown again. Brothers, great folk to have.
Scooter Trash

Post by Scooter Trash »

Thanks for sharing that story.

I REALLY miss many of the olden days and the bonds that we once had.

Guess that is the price we pay for outliving all of our old TRUE bros.
Panheadbob62

Post by Panheadbob62 »

Reckon so, Scooter Trash, reckon so.