RAG

Lessons learned by and from Elders.
Panheadbob62

RAG

Post by Panheadbob62 »

I was really young when I got my first "RAG" as we called them back then, a ratty old Levi jean jacket. Must have been around the 8th grade as that was the last school photo I took. It's collar was torn, one elbow was eaten through, missing some buttons like that, ratty!

I still wore it because we couldn't afford anything brand name but I had this jacket and I was holding on to it !

Years went by and I held onto the jacket, loosing pieces of it along the way, tearing off that collar cause it bugged me the ripped sleeve getting worse as the days rolled by. Then I met Buzzy, he lived a few blocks from my house and he had the bitcheness Panhead I ever saw. Primer grey with a sportster tank and the longest front end I ever saw, had to be 20 over or better. Took 3 man and a small boy to turn the wheel back straight if you lost it, about 100 yards turning radius too. Well he was pulling it out of his garage and the wheel flipped on him, the cut down drag bars didn't help so I ran over there and helped him get it straight. I grabbed the wheel as he grabbed the handle bars and we got it up right.

Well, that began our friendship and I soon saw my first "Cut", like mine it was a jean jacket with the sleeves cut off of it. I asked him how his got so cut up and he said it was like that so he could wear his colors over his leather jacket.

COLOR's ?? WTF!

Thus began my education of MC's and the ways of same, he told me that you only get one set of patches, colors, and they need be seen when you are up. Some sewed them onto their jackets while others sewed them on other items of clothing but he said sometimes, it was just too hot for that, so alot of 'em sewed them on these "Cuts" so their colors were always in plain view and flying. It was years and I saw more and more of this from others asking them why the Levi jacket. Back then Levi jackets were around and affordable from the RAG store, used Levi's, $5 a pair of pants and the occasional jean jacket which was usually ruined in the sleeves and collar, so there it was , ready made for your colors. I got my first set of wings from Attitude Fred, still have them though you can only tell my the shape of the wings, the rest long gone now.

Got 'em framed and hanging on the wall, a black set of wings that resemble the bar and shield Harley had then, because my rag was cut from me in a bad accident I had and they were not careful when cutting it off. O course the left side of my head and my eye was more of a concern to them at the time, I forgave 'em.

Leather was expensive then and now and there weren't very many leather vests to be had for what we could get Levi jackets for so there ya have it, my knowledge of where the cut off came from and why so far as I recall it.

Let's here how you know it !!
Scooter Trash

Re: RAG

Post by Scooter Trash »

My first "cut" was also a denim jacket that I cut the sleeves and collar off.

It was so worn that the sleeves already had holes in the elbows and the collar was a pain while riding because the wind would catch it and smack your neck.

The one variable from Panhead's story was about the "wings."

In the part of the country where I lived, there were different color wings. And you had to "perform" certain duties, in order to "earn" the various color wings.

Due to the x-rated, vulgar and confidential actions required for most of those colors, combined with a loss of memory regarding the "mild" ones, I will not post the requirements here. But maybe if we meet up at a rally and I have a few drinks at night, I just might reveal some of the more x-rated challenges that were required.

Anyway, I still wear a jean cut as well as a leather vest. What I wear, depends on the weather. I prefer the leather on long rides,in the summer, because of the "secure" zipper pockets inside. But in the cooler weather, when I am wearing a heavy leather jacket, I wear the denim on top of the leather, for better visibility.

But, like Panhead mentioned, back in the day, you only got one set of "colors" so it was always the jean "cuts."

I will also add the jeans we wore on our legs, were covered in OIL during the rainy season, because we didn't have chaps. The only down side to that is as a result of the jeans fitting so tight and being oil covered, it removed all the hair off my upper legs.

I might also add the fact that the jeans were a whole lot thicker back then, unlike these paper thin products most of the jean makers have on the market today.

The only "good and thick" jeans I can find now are "The Original Cowboy Cut" Wrangler 100% cotton Original Fit Jeans that still have a 1 year warranty on them.
Panheadbob62

Re: RAG

Post by Panheadbob62 »

Indeed , Scooter Trash, I too had those wings on the front of my cut, the wings I talked about were on the back of my cut, didn't have any colors then, they were about 12 " long, just the Bar and shield Harley ran but now they are just the shape as time has taken the colored thread just black remains.

But yes, those were the times when earning the other wings for sure, a LOT of fun then.

I recall the "Water proofing" too, same guy gave me them wings showed me what a newspaper and some axel grease would do for wet weather ! Got to where we were going and when I took them off, my legs were black LOL !! But I was warm and dry !

Now a days I buy the Fleeced lined jeans for winter, pair of them and some insulated BIB overalls and I'm set.